Have a story of interest to fellow alumni? Contact Law Quadrangle editor Katie Vloet at
or call 734.647.3589
In 1924, students first occupied the dormitory portion of the Lawyers Club. Six years later, an additional dormitory, the John P. Cook Building, was completed.
"All in all, this new section includes ninety-seven rooms, some single and others arranged in suites. Every room has running water, well chosen furnishings, and ample room for rest and study. There are twenty-seven rooms with fireplaces and every room in the dormitory seems to exhale that same atmosphere of dignified ease which has been so evident in the first section of the Lawyers Club. …
Every modern convenience which has become known to architects and engineers since the construction of the first unit has been embodied in this latest structure. A typical suite of rooms for two students includes two bedrooms flanking a large center living room and study all furnished with richly appointed chairs, tables, desks, dressers, drapes, and curtains. Sufficient closet space is found in three large closets, one in each room. Showers of the latest type are found in the bathrooms in each section of the new dormitory."
Excerpt from the Michigan Alumnus, "John P. Cook Dormitory Completed," 1930.
For more information...
Comments/Suggestions | Site Map | Work Requests | Admin Portal | Disclaimer | Supported Browsers | U of M Home
Regents of the
University of Michigan. All images property of Michigan Law
The University of Michigan Law School.
625 South State Street,
Ann Arbor, Michigan
48109-1215 USA - Contact Us