Beating exam stress with a stick—and more
By John Masson
Dec. 12, 2012
Students at Michigan Law are getting ready to pummel exam stress like an overstuffed piñata. And we mean that literally.
For one thing, it's impossible to be stressed out by exams when you're beating the hell out of a piñata. Especially when that piñata is full of delicious candy. So much the better, of course, if the piñata looks like a hobbit-sized papier mâché law professor—but we suspect that may be asking too much.
(By the way, ever wonder how come piñatas came from Spain—but we actually build them out of a substance that has more French diacritical marks than a Paris pâtisserie?)
Moving on. What of students who fear the inevitable sugar crash following a piñata party? Easy. They can instead vent their stress on the steps of the Reading Room during this year's exam-time Primal Scream (held Dec. 11). (Of course, we're aware that primal screams have emanated from that location with disturbing regularity since roughly the Great Depression, but not in such a formalized, capitalized way.)
Other students will want to hold on to all that primitive energy—they're going to need it at the Dance Party in Aikens Commons. Or, if they're working too hard to eat properly, the LSSS (Law School Student Senate) also plans, Red Cross-like, to distribute snacks from the new student suite offices in the basement of Hutchins Hall every couple of days. Students can refuel at a peanut butter and jelly (and/or fluff) sandwich-making escapade, scheduled for the Aikens Commons, or recharge their spirits at the Arts and Crafts gathering that will also be held there.
And all of this is in addition to MLaw's traditional stress-busting activities, brought to students by their friends in Alumni Relations: free breakfasts for current students every weekday, and free massages all day Thursday.
Oh, and for students worried about all the calories attendant on snacks, sandwiches, fluff, and candy? The LSSS has that covered, too: yoga in South Hall.
Here's the complete schedule:
Read more feature stories
- Daily til Dec. 21, 7:15 to 8:30 a.m.: Free breakfast (current students), Aikens Commons
- Dec. 12, 7-8 p.m.: Snacks! In the new B-38 Suite, Hutchins Hall
- Dec. 13, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Free massages, 118 Hutchins Hall
- Dec. 13, 5 p.m.: Arts and Crafts, Aikens Commons (using safety scissors?)
- Dec. 14, 9 p.m.: Dance Party, Aikens Commons
- Dec. 16, 7-8 p.m.: Snacks! In the new B-38 Suite, Hutchins Hall
- Dec. 17, 5 p.m.: Piñata beatdown in the courtyard
- Dec. 18, 5 p.m.: 20-minute yoga class, 1025 South Hall
- Dec. 19, 7-8 p.m.: Snacks! In the new B-38 Suite, Hutchins Hall
- Dec. 20, 5 p.m.: PB&J, plus fluff, sandwich making, Aikens Commons