Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Facilities Available to Law School Student Organizations

Office Space

Lois Harden, the Law School's Facilities Manager, is the contact for student organizations with questions regarding office maintenance issues, furniture, lost or stolen keys, etc. To obtain keys, the chairperson of the student organization must submit to Ms. Harden the names of the individuals who are authorized to receive keys. She will then provide the organization with the necessary key requisition forms. The student organizations are responsible for obtaining the keys from the Key Office, which is located in the Church Street parking structure. Each key requires a $10.00 cash deposit, which is refunded upon return of the keys to the Key Office. The Law School is not responsible for items lost or stolen as a result of an office being left unlocked.

The University can sometimes provide space for student organizations in the Michigan Union. Requests should be made through the Michigan Union Scheduling Office (734.763.5911). Procedures for requesting space in the Union may be found online here.

Law school meeting rooms, halls, and auditorium

Student organizations that wish to reserve rooms at the Law School for events must be officially recognized by the LSSS as an active student organization. Such organizations must also comply with the Law School's Room Reservation Policy. Priority for reservations is given first to classes, then to administrative reservations for Law School events, and then to student groups. Student group reservation requests are processed in the order in which they are received, with consideration given to group size, type of event, and available space. However, student organization reservations, like others, are subject to cancellation should an overriding academic or institutional need arise. The Office of Student Records coordinates the use of rooms within the Law School for classes, seminars, and other academic uses. The Office of Finance and Planning coordinates Law School room use for all other events, including conferences, meetings, and student organization activities.

The Lawyers Club

Students and student groups may reserve space in the Lawyers Club for meetings, receptions, and other events. All events must be scheduled through the Club's Director, Diane Nafranowicz (, 734.764.1116), whose office is located next to the Club's reception desk. Reservations and a signed contract are required in advance of any group's community area use. Catering services may be available; please request catering menu and prices two weeks prior to an event.

Self-catered or BYO alcohol is not allowed in the Lawyers Club. All state, University, and Law School policies governing the use of alcohol also apply to the Lawyers Club.

Among the Lawyers Club facilities available are the main lounge, a small private dining room called the Faculty Dining Room, and a basement recreation room containing banquet tables and chairs (suitable for self-catered student potlucks). Use of the exterior Law Quadrangle space is scheduled thorough the Law School Program and Events Office 734.764.4705 or

The Law Library

The Seminar Room in S-1 may be reserved through the general room reservation system. The general policy on priorities applies.

There are two study rooms on S-3 that can be reserved for group use. Inquire at the Circulation Desk for reservations. For a map indicating the location of the study rooms and additional information, see Reservation Rules for Group Study Room. The rooms may be used without reserving them, but groups that have reservations take precedence. Both rooms have wireless service and electric outlets.

Other University Facilities

The University of Michigan has several on-campus facilities available for use by student organizations, including the Michigan Union and the Michigan League. Each facility requires a contract and payment of required fees. Reservations should be made well in advance of the event date. Reservations for any of the University Union facilities may be made by calling Event Services (734-764-8837). To reserve space at one of the University Union facilities online, student groups must first set up an account.

Can I have food at my event?

Five rooms in Hutchins Hall, 118, 138, 150, 218, and 242, are available for events where food is to be served. If none of the "food rooms" are available, events may be scheduled in "non-food" rooms, with food service being permitted in the corridors. All rooms in South Hall are designated "food rooms."

How do I reserve a room?

Law School rooms and tables are reserved online through the Event Registration System, which is part of the online Law School Events Calendar. Students requesting rooms and/or tables are responsible to make sure their reservation request has been approved prior to the event by going to the Law School calendar, logging in, and checking "My Events." A reservation should not be considered "firm" until the room request is listed as Scheduled.

How do I schedule an event on the Law School calendar?

By default, all events at the Law School are posted to the Law School calendar. Please include a note in the Comments section of the room request form if you do not wish to have your event on the calendar.