Old Law Building - ExteriorSource: Bentley Historical Library
Henry M. Bates »Source: Bentley Historical Library
However, as early as the late 1920’s, Dean Bates determined that the library collection should expand in two ways: to include material from around the world, and to extend the collection retrospectively, so that it would be possible at Michigan to research the law of any topic, in any country, at any period of time. For a detailed description of this process, see Margaret A. Leary, Building a Foreign Law Collection at the University of Michigan Law Library, 1910-1960, 94 Law Libr. J. 395 (2002).
Old Law Building - InteriorSource: Bentley Historical Library
The person most responsible for building the collection was Professor Hobart Coffey, who directed the library from 1926-1966.
By the 1970’s the retrospective building of the collection was essentially complete, and the library could turn its attention to other matters: its space, and its services.
Hobart R. Coffey »Source: Bentley Historical Library
The most pressing need was for more space; the collection had outgrown even the 1950’s four-story expansion to the Legal Research stacks. The Allan F. and Alene Smith addition was built between 1978 and 1981, adding 77,000 square feet, shelving for up to 475,000 volumes, and 482 seats. The space also houses student-edited publications and the Jackier Rare Book Room, as well as the library’s 35 full time employees and dozens of student workers. Several articles about the dedication appear in Volume 26 of the Law Quad Notes (Winter 1982) and can be found here .
The Allan F. and Alene Smith addition - Looking From OutsideSource: Law Library Staff
With the new space, the Library embarked in the mid-1980’s on expansion of its services to law faculty and students. [See Margaret A. Leary, Library Support for Faculty Research, 53 J. Legal Educ. 192, 193-94 (2003).]
The Allan F. and Alene Smith addition - Looking From InsideSource: Law Library Staff