Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Skip Navigation LinksHome > The Curriculum > Externships > South Africa Externships > Overseas Travel Requirements

Overseas Travel Requirements

Independent Nature of Overseas Opportunities

The Law School is not able to assess the risks of going overseas for an externship. When going abroad, it is the student's responsibility to investigate and determine the risks associated with the endeavor, and whether to undertake such risks. The University has a wealth of information available to assist with travel planning, organized through the University's global portal. Another excellent source is the International Center's Travel Abroad Office.

Students going abroad for an externship are required to read all of the information listed under Travel Planning at the top of the University's M Global Michigan page:

These sections contain important information about the University's travel registry, international travel and health insurance, health and safety for international travel, visas, and links to pertinent information sources.

Travel Registry

Prior to leaving for an overseas externship, students are required to register via the University's online Travel Registry. The Travel Registry helps facilitate communication in the event of emergency situations that may arise for those traveling outside the United States. Additionally, you are expected to update the information in the Travel Registry throughout your overseas travel experience as you get new information or as your registered information changes.

Visa Requirements

It is the student's responsibility to determine and comply with all legal requirements for entry into the placement country (i.e., if obtaining a visa is necessary, etc.). Students who will be doing an overseas externship can contact the International Center about the requirements to enter and work in the country of placement.

Students can also consult with the closest consulate of the country where the externship is located to determine their entry requirements.

Overseas Travel Waiver

As a condition of enrolling for overseas externship credit, students must complete an Overseas Travel Waiver. This requirement applies whether or not the U.S. State Department has issued a travel alert or travel warning for the country to which you plan to travel. Students are strongly encouraged to check the website of the U.S. State Department for international travel warnings.

If a travel warning has been issued for the country where an externship has been proposed, the student must comply with the requirements of the University for graduate-professional students prior to departure and as a condition for enrollment for the externship.

The student will not be allowed to enroll in the externship for credit unless the University's International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC) approves of the proposed travel plans.

Overseas Health Insurance

The Law School requires all students going overseas for an externship to purchase UM Travel Abroad Health Insurance through HTH Worldwide. Information about the provisions and benefits offered by HTH Worldwide Insurance, including Frequently Asked Questions, can be found on its website. A student can purchase this insurance directly from the company after the required registration of travel plans has been completed.

While the HTH Worldwide insurance plan will provide some continued coverage in the United States following a condition or injury abroad, this coverage is extremely limited. In addition to purchasing this insurance for coverage overseas, students should maintain U.S.-based health insurance plans.