Parking and Transportation
Since parking for students on UM's campus is very limited, you are strongly encouraged to leave your vehicle at home. For commuting students and those who absolutely must bring their vehicles to campus, it is important to understand that:
- Parking is intended for commuting students.
- Student parking is located at lots that are accessible by bus or, in certain locations, within walking distance of the campus.
- Very limited storage parking is available.
- Except for the limited student storage parking areas, all vehicles must be moved within 48 hours.
- The AATA Park & Ride lots are available to daily student commuters, including freshman and sophomores. Overnight parking is not allowed in these lots.
- Private parking is available off-campus, but it, too, is limited.
For more detailed information on student parking permits, visit UM Parking and Transportation's Web page.
There are four-hour parking meters on Monroe and Tappan Streets adjacent to the Law School, as well as two-hour meters on State Street. There are also four-hour meters located on Madison, Oakland and Hill Streets, all within a one-block walk of the Law School. Parking at meters will cost you $1.20 per hour and parking limits are strictly enforced by the City of Ann Arbor.
Students sometimes post ads about nearby parking spaces available for rent by the month in the Law School Classifieds.
University commuter buses and the Ann Arbor Transportation (AATA) buses are free to University faculty, staff and students. Present a valid U-M identification card (MCard) to the bus driver. You can view the AATA bus routes or the UM Commuter bus routes to help plan your trips.
Since parking a car is inconvenient and inexpensive in Ann Arbor, you may want to consider riding a bike around campus. For safety and resource information about biking, please visit the UM Parking and Transportation Bicycling page.
Designated parking spaces for motorcycles and mopeds are available all around campus. These designated parking spaces are marked with signs; many are located in covered spaces. Motorcycles and mopeds are not allowed to park in regular vehicle parking spaces or gate-controlled locations.
To get the locations of motorcycle and moped parking on campus, look for the designated signs, or see these maps.
University of Michigan students can join Zipcard to get 24/7 access to Zipcars parked at various nearby campus locations. For more information about Zipcars on Michigan's campus, click here.