Taking Care of You!
Your lifestyle (including your eating habits, exercise patterns, sleep, recreational activities, social relationships, and more) can have a significant impact on how you feel and function. Taking steps to develop a healthier lifestyle can pay enormous dividends by reducing stress and improving your physical health. You will probably find some of the strategies below helpful.
- Have a dependable support system of friends, family, and campus professionals. Feeling close and connected to others is important.
- Maintain regular sleep patterns, even on weekends and vacations.
- Get plenty of regular exercise. For exercise resources and facilities, see the Go Out and Play! page of this site.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Avoid alcohol and don't abuse drugs.
- Manage your stress. Seek academic help when you need it and don't be afraid to get guidance for roommate, financial, or relationship concerns.
- Research has shown that relaxation techniques are an effective way to reduce not only stress but many of the symptoms associated with mental health disorders. Learn about some quick and easy techniques here.
- If you suspect you may be depressed, see your doctor. Depression is a treatable illness. For other helpful resources, see the Mental Health Resources page of this site.