Unemployment Insurance Clinic
We are a free clinic staffed by Michigan Law students that provides Unemployment Insurance advocacy, advice, and assistance to Michigan workers.
Se habla español los lunes y miercoles por la mañana. Cuando llame, pedir para Claire.
First-year law students, under the supervision of an experienced attorney, receive course credit to provide free Unemployment Insurance advice and representation to UI claimants. We provide not only a practical experience opportunity for students to develop real-world advocacy skills but also an opportunity for them to engage their community in significant and meaningful ways.
Contact our office by phone: 734.936.2000 or email: email@example.com.
From time to time we reach maximum case capacity and aren't able to provide full representation. If intake is closed, check here for our referral list of other lawyers that provide representation to UI claimants.
Please be careful not to miss any appeal deadlines. You have 30 days from the date of mailing of any Unemployment Insurance determination or decision to appeal. If you disagree with a determination or decision, you must appeal within 30 days to protect your rights. You can find information about how to appeal a decision in our Know Your Rights brochure.
If you need to apply for Unemployment Insurance benefits you can do so online or by phone. Find out how to apply for benefits on the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency website.
Free Community Services Offered By Students
- Advice regarding the UI claims process
- Advocacy with the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) at initial stages of the claims process
- Representation at administrative hearings, the Michigan Compensation Appellate Commission, the Circuit Court, and the Michigan Court of Appeals
- Policy analysis on emerging issues affecting UI claimants in Michigan
- Public education materials and workshops for the unemployed and those that work with them.
The Ruth Mott Foundation
provides partial funding to the UIC to represent claimants in Genesee County and North Flint.
Our Full-time Staff
Steve Gray, Director and Clinical Assistant Professor
Contacting the UIC
801 Monroe Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109