The University of Michigan Law School has long been a leader in public interest law and is dedicated to assisting current students and graduates who are interested in pursuing public interest opportunities.
Our Public Interest Program is committed to:
- Building and fostering a robust public interest community of alumni, students, and faculty
- Linking students with hands-on experience during the school year
- Providing career advising for summer and post-graduate positions
- In conjunction with the Financial Aid Office, helping students find financial support for public interest work
- Michigan Law's Making a Difference: A Guide to Careers in Public Service
- Join the public service email group (PIMichLaw) for current students interested in public interest announcements and job postings by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michigan Law Practice Area Guides:
- Schedule an appointment with Alyson Robbins, Public Interest Director, or Robin Kaplan, Government Advisor.
- Symplicity: Login to Michigan Law's Symplicity site to access job postings and view employer profiles.
- PSJD: Online resource connecting public interest law job-seekers with job opportunities.
- University of Arizona Government Honors & Internship Handbook: Fairly comprehensive listing of summer and graduate honors programs within federal, state, and local government agencies.
- USAJobs: The federal government's central place for job postings.
- Networking Guide for Law Students (PDF)
- Public Service Network: A network of Michigan Law alumni and students working in public service law in the U.S. and abroad. This resource includes student evaluations from summer and externship experiences.
- AlumNetwork: Database of Michigan Law alumni organized by market, practice area, and other criteria.
- LinkedIn: The largest professional network on the Internet, covering over 200 countries and territories. Join the MLaw Public Interest Community Group on LinkedIn.
- Like the MLaw Public Interest Community on Facebook.
PREPARING YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS AND INTERVIEWING
FELLOWSHIPS & FUNDING