Krzys Public Interest Fellowship
The Krzys Public Interest Fellowship is awarded annually to one exceptional Michigan Law graduate to support his/her work serving low-income individuals in civil legal matters and/or protecting civil rights. This Fellowship is made possible by Steve Blank, a California entrepreneur, in honor of his late friend, Michael Krzys ('77), a public interest lawyer who died tragically in a car accident in 1981. In creating the Krzys Public Interest Fellowship, Mr. Blank intends to help recent MLaw graduates follow career paths similar to Mr. Krzys' own career with Georgia Legal Services.
The award is for a one-year fellowship and includes a $40,000 salary stipend plus up to $10,000 towards the employer costs for benefits that an employee of the host organization would ordinarily receive.
Congratulations to the 2014-2015 Krzys Public Interest Fellow, Katelyn Cherney, Nebraska Legal Aid and the 2013-2014 Krzys Public Interest Fellow, Marc Allen, ACLU of Michigan!
The application period for 2014 is now closed.
- Fill out Application Form
- Upload Resume and Essay (combined into one document) to Symplicity
- Upload Commitment Letter (as "other document") to Symplicity
- Build your application on Symplicity (Job ID 2471)
Your completed application is due by January 21, 2014 at 12:00pm.
The dean's faculty committee will select the Krzys Fellow (by March 1st) based on the background of the applicant with a focus on demonstrated commitment to public interest and the strength/need of the proposed work.
- Applicants must identify a host organization before applying for the Krzys Fellowship. An applicant's host organization must be a nonprofit, 501(c)3 public interest organization.
- The 2014-2015 Krzys Fellowship is open to December 2013 and May 2014 MLaw graduates. Graduates serving in judicial clerkships are not eligible for the Krzys Fellowship.
- The Krzys Fellow is not eligible for other postgraduate funding from Michigan Law or other sources (e.g. the MLS Postgraduate Fellowship).
- The Krzys Fellow agrees to release his/her name, email address, and employment details for inclusion in the MLaw Public Service Network. The Krzys Fellow will also be expected to provide periodic updates to Michigan Law on the work performed and the quality of the experience.
If you have any questions about the Krzys Public Interest Fellowship, you can reach Alyson Robbins, Public Interest Director, at email@example.com or 734.764.0546.