Service Day Planning Timeline
The Office of Development and Alumni Relations (ODAR) to identify and confirm alumni Service Day team leaders/co-leaders.
Team leaders are provided with timeline and guideline to carry out their roles.
- Team leaders identify organization or activity for their Service Day location.
- Service Day volunteer logistics are confirmed for each site (see guideline for suggestions on helpful information to request from the organization).
- Save-the-Date is distributed electronically to all alumni and friends by ODAR.
- Save-the-Date information posted by ODAR to MLaw Facebook page.
- Service Day website updated by ODAR with information for all participating sites and online registration.
- Invitation will be sent electronically to all alumni and friends by ODAR.
- ODAR to post invitation and registration information to Facebook.
- Team leaders to recruit volunteers, as needed. Alumni directories for each site are available through ODAR for purpose of Service Day activities only.
- If possible, team leaders to attend Admitted Student Receptions in participating cities (LA, SF, NYC, Chicago, DC) to speak to newly admitted students and recent Michigan Law alumni about Service Day and encourage them to participate (taking place February – April around the country).
- Recruitment of volunteers continues, as needed, by team leaders.
- Weekly registration reports from ODAR provided to each site.
- Final details of the Service Day project are confirmed with the organization by team leaders.
- Service Day materials are shipped from ODAR to team leaders for the event. This includes t-shirts for each volunteer, lapel pin, and name badge.
- Reminder email to be sent by ODAR
- Team leaders to email their volunteers directly with logistics for their Service Day location and their day of event contact information.
- Team leaders should plan to arrive early to meet and greet both the organization and Michigan Law alumni and friends. Please coordinate with your organization on the best place for our volunteers to meet at site.
- Team leaders to take photos and/or video of Service Day activities. Please post these on Facebook, Instagram, etc. during and/or after the event. These photos will be shared with volunteers after the event and may also be used by ODAR for possible use in slide show, publications, and future communications.
- Lunch during or after the volunteer activity will be provided to all Michigan Law alumni, friends, and family. *Please note, lunch cannot be provided to non-Michigan volunteers, staff of the organization, or residents/clients of the organization due to hosting and compliance policies within the University of Michigan.
- The week following the Service Day event, team leaders should send a thank you email to the organization where your site volunteered. If the event went well and you would like to coordinate with the same organization the following year, consider securing a date at this time.
- Team leaders should send a thank you email to the group of volunteers from their site. Email addresses on file will be shared with team leaders in the weekly registration updates.
- ODAR will send a thank you and survey via email following Service Day to all volunteers.
- Volunteers will all receive an electronic appreciation certificate following the event.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Laura Gray in the Office of Development and Alumni Relations at 734-615-4535 or at email@example.com.