Law School Facts
(Last updated September 14, 2016)
For 150 years, the University of Michigan Law School has offered its students one of the world's finest legal educations in a setting of stunning physical beauty. Among Michigan Law's nearly 22,000 alumni are leaders in law, business, and public service in countries across the globe.
So what explains the Michigan difference? While students certainly gain access to a collegial community of scholars who work at the top of their fields, they also come into contact with each other—a diverse body of talented students whose cooperative spirit helps bring out the best in faculty and students alike.
Browsing the rich variety of events and news offers a glimpse into a dynamic intellectual world.
Clinical & Legal Practice
[ Back to the Top ]Timeline1859 Law School enrolled its first students.1859 James Valentine Campbell, Thomas MacIntyre Cooley, and Charles Irish Walker appointed law professors.1859 First law department lecture given to students.1863 First law building completed.1868 First African American student admitted. Gabriel Franklin Hargo became the first African-American student to graduate from the Law School in 1870.1870 First female student admitted. Sarah Killgore graduated in 1871, the first woman with a law degree in the nation to be admitted to the bar.1877 Clarence Darrow studied law.1883 First full-time professor appointed.1890 First LLM degrees granted, two to students from Japan.1895 Course of law study extended to three years.1896 First summer session held.1902 First issue of Michigan Law Review published.1910 Henry Moore Bates appointed dean, serving until 1939.1915 Law Department changed to Law School by Regental action.1922-33 Law Quadrangle constructed. 1939 Cases and Materials on the Law of Future Interest, Lewis M. Simes, published.1942-46 Judge Advocate General's (JAG) School in operation.1946 Cases on Remedies: II, Restitution at Law and in Equity, John P. Dawsom and Edgar N. Durfee, published.1953 International Law: Cases and Materials, William W. Bishop Jr., published.1954 International legal studies program expanded by Ford Foundation grant.1959 Institute of Continuing Legal Education established.1962 Committee of Visitors established.1969 Basic Criminal Procedure: Cases, Comments and Questions, Yale Kamisar, Jerold H. Israel (and Wayne R. LaFave), published.1971 Clinical law program established.1981 Smith Library addition opened.1996 Legal Practice Program opened.1998 Center for International and Comparative Law established.2001 Transnational Law added as graduation requirement.2003 Law School won Grutter v. Bollinger Affirmative Action Admissions Lawsuit.2009 Law School Sesquicentennial.2011 Robert B. Aikens Commons and Kirkland & Ellis Café opened.2012 South Hall academic building opened and was dedicated.[ Back to the Top ]
Comments/Suggestions | Site Map | Work Requests | Admin Portal | Disclaimer | Supported Browsers | U of M Home
Regents of the
University of Michigan. All images property of Michigan Law
The University of Michigan Law School.
625 South State Street,
Ann Arbor, Michigan
48109-1215 USA - Contact Us