Xiaomeng "Alex" Zhang
S-134 Legal Research
Xiaomeng "Alex" Zhang joined the University of Michigan Law Library in 2009. She received a B.A. in Philosophy and a Chinese Law Certificate from Nanjing University, China and a M.A. in Philosophy from Tulane University. She attended the University of Kansas Law School earning her J.D. with a certificate in International Trade and Finance Law in 2006. She received an M.S.I. from the University of Michigan, School of Information in 2009.
As a Reference Librarian and the Supervisor of the Reference Desk, Alex monitors and supervises daily reference desk transactions. She provides reference, research and bibliographic instruction services in all areas of law and for all jurisdictions. She creates and updates research guides and other training materials for law students, students on law journals and research scholars. She also co-teaches an Advanced Legal Research class. As a Foreign and Comparative Law Librarian, she selects and reviews both print and electronic legal materials in the area. She chairs the Law Library’s Approval Plan Committee and actively participates in the Collection Development Committee, Management Advisory Group and Legal Preservation Committee.
Over the years, Alex has developed strong research interests in the following areas: Access to legal information, Law librarianship in the digital and global era, Legal research methods and methodology, and Chinese Law and Research.
Click to view the Research Guides Alex has created for the Law Library.
PRESENTATIONS AND TRANSLATIONS
- Translator, "中国法律图书馆业：挑战与机遇" ("Law Librarianship in China: Challenges and Opportunities"), by Kara Philips, Wei Luo & Joan Liu, 《北大法律信息网文粹》 235-41 (Beijing University Press, 2014).
- "Legal Translation and Interpretation Tools Recap," DipLawMatic Dialogues (July 2014)
- Translation Corrector, "中国过于宽泛的内幕交易执法制度——法定授权和机构实践/China's Over-Broad Insider Trading Enforcement Regime-Statutory Authorization and Agency Practice" by Nicholas C. Howson, 2014 Shanghai Jiaotong University Law Review 71 (2014).
- "Free Access to Government Legal Information in China: A Path Full of Hopes and Thorns," IALL Blog (January 2014)
- Team Translator and Final Reviewer, English translation of the Supreme People’s Court’s Judicial Interpretation of the Criminal Procedure Law of the People’s Republic of China of 2012, New York University Asia Law Institute (2013)
- Presenter, New Trends in Law Library Services, China-US Legal Information Forum, Shanghai, China, June 2013
- Conference Report, Shanghai CAFLL Conference (June 2013)
- Presenter, Michigan Law Collection: The Philippines, Post Conference to the International Conference on the Philippines, Ann Arbor, October 2012
- Panelist, Issues and Trends of Asian Law Collection Development in Academic Law Libraries, American Association for Law Libraries Asian Law Special Interest Group, Boston, July 2012
- State Bar of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- American Society of International Law
- International Association of Law Libraries
- American Association of Law Libraries
- AALL Research and Publication Committee (2012-2014)
- AALL Price Index to Legal Publications Committee (2014-)
- Chinese and American Forum on Legal Information and Law Libraries
- University of Michigan Faculty Communications Advisory Committee Member (2013-)
back to Staff Biographies