Alex (Xiaomeng) Zhang
S-134 Legal Research
Alex (Xiaomeng) Zhang joined the University of Michigan Law Library in 2009 as a Reference Librarian. She received a B.A. in Philosophy and a Chinese Law Certificate from Nanjing University, China and a M.A. in Philosophy from Tulane University. She attended the University of Kansas Law School earning her J.D. with a certificate in International Trade and Finance Law in 2006. She also received an M.S.I. from the University of Michigan, School of Information in 2009.
As a Reference Librarian and the Supervisor of the Reference Desk, Alex monitors and supervises daily reference desk transactions. She provides reference, research and bibliographic instruction services in all areas of law and for all jurisdictions. She creates and updates research guides and other training materials for law students and students on law journals.
As a foreign and comparative law selector, she selects both print and electronic legal materials with a strong focus in the area of foreign and comparative law. She also actively participates in the Law Library’s Collection Development Committee, Approval Plan Committee, and Legal Preservation Committee.
Alex has broad research interests in Collection Development, Law Library Services in the digital and global era, Legal Research Methods, Chinese Law and Legal Research, and Information Policy and Regulation.
Click to view the Research Guides Alex has created for the Law Library.
- Translation Corrector, "中国过于宽泛的内幕交易执法制度——法定授权和机构实践/China's Over-Broad Insider Trading Enforcement Regime-Statutory Authorization and Agency Practice" by Nicolas C. Howson, Shanghai Jiaotong University Law Review (forthcoming 2014)
- "Issues and Trends of Collection Development of East Asian Legal Materials," 105 Law Library Journal 321 (Summer 2013) (co-authors Jootaek Lee, Evelyn Ma, Keiko Okuhara)
- Conference Report, Shanghai CAFLL Conference (June 2013)
- Guide on Researching Chinese Mass Media Law, Globalex (May 2013)
- Taiwan Legal Research Guide, GlobaLex (November 2012)
- Book Review, 104 Law Library Journal 594 (Fall 2012) (reviewing Laura Stark, Behind Closed Doors: IRBs and the Making of Ethical Research) (University of Chicago Press, 2012))
PRESENTATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
- Presenter, New Trends in Law Library Services, China-US Legal Information Forum, Shanghai, China, June 2013
- Presenter, Michigan Law Collection: The Philippines, Post Conference to the International Conference on the Philippines, Ann Arbor, October 2012
- Panelist, Issues and Trends of Asian Law Collection Development in Academic Law Libraries, American Association for Law Libraries Asian Law Special Interest Group, Boston, July 2012
- Volunteer translator at the US-China Legal Information Forum (2011-): Translated English speakers’ Bios and Speech abstracts in English to Chinese; Translated Mission and Conference pages of the CAFLL website; Served as a translator and tour guide for Chinese law professors and scholars in the 2011 Forum
- State Bar of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- AALL Research and Publication Committee (2012-)
- All-SIS FCIL Nomination Committee (2012-)
- Chinese and American Forum on Legal Information and Law Libraries
- International Association of Law Libraries
back to Staff Biographies