Head of the Reference and Faculty Service Unit and Librarian
S-134 Legal Research
Jennifer L. Selby became Head of Reference and Faculty Services in 2008 and has been the international law selector since 2001. She received a B.A. in chemistry, Phi Beta Kappa, from Michigan State University in 1993. She attended Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent College of Law, earning her J.D. with honors and a certificate in Patent Law in 1996. She holds a M.S.I. with a specialization in Library and Information Services from the University of Michigan, School of Information, where she graduated with honors in 2001.
Selby oversees the work of the reference librarians and professional staff in the Reference and Faculty Service Unit. This includes overall supervision of the Faculty Document Delivery and Research Services and Interlibrary Loan Service. The Circulation Desk as a service point is also a part of the Reference and Faculty Services Unit. Since 2001, she is responsible for development of the public international law collection, including international organizations, and air, space and maritime law. Selby mentors students in the University of Michigan School of Information program, including supervising internships at the reference desk.
Prior to her work at the University of Michigan Law Library, Selby practiced intellectual property law for several years with Harness, Dickey & Pierce in Troy, Michigan.
- "How I Became a Law Librarian," in "Propagating the Species: Will Librarians Go the Way of the Dodo Bird?," AALL Spectrum, Vol. 7, No. 5, February 2003.
- "Refugee Caselaw Site - University of Michigan Law School," What's Online in International Law, American Society of International Law (ASIL), Newsletter, March/April, 2003.
- "A Guide to International & Foreign Legal Research Online," Michigan Bar Journal, July 2003.
- “A Guide to Intellectual Property Legal Research Online,” Michigan Bar Journal, August 2004.
- “A Guide to Cyberspace Law Searching Online,” Michigan Bar Journal, March 2008.
- “Getting Law Students into the Law Library: The University of Michigan Succeeds with a Plan,” AALL Spectrum, Vol. 16, No. 1, September/October 2011.
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL)
- Chair, Index to Foreign Legal Periodicals Advisory Committee, 2007-2009
- International Association of Law Libraries (IALL)
- American Society of International Law (ASIL)
- Michigan Association of Law Libraries (MichALL)
- Michigan State Bar Committee on Libraries (past member)
back to Staff Biographies