Barbara H. Garavaglia
Director and Librarian
S-180A Legal Research
Barbara H. Garavaglia is the Director of the University of Michigan Law Library. Previously, she had been an Assistant Director of the Law Library from 2007 to 2011, and the Head of the Reference Department from 1988 to 2007. She received a B.A. in political science, summa cum laude, from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1976, earned her J.D. cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School in 1980, and her M.L.S. from the University of Michigan School of Library Science in 1982. Prior to coming to the Law Library, Garavaglia served as the Assistant State Law Librarian at the Library of Michigan from 1983 to 1988, and she worked as a research attorney for a commercial legal research firm from 1981 to 1983.
Garavaglia’s primary focus has been building and maintaining an enduring infrastructure to support faculty research and document delivery services. In addition, she is responsible for managing collection development and for training and supervising librarians who perform acquisitions, collection development and access services work in American, foreign and international law. She is a strong supporter of the University of Michigan School of Information, and participates in training new law librarians by supervising directed field experiences and independent study projects in the Law Library.
- "Hydraulic Fracturing: Sources of Law and Information." Mich. B. J. 92, no. 9 (2013): 58-9.
- "Collection Development Policies and Other Basic Tools for Building a Foreign and International Law Collection" at Globalex (2013).
- "Using Legislative Histories to Determine Legislative Intent in New Jersey,” Legal Reference Services Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 1-2 (January - June 2011): 71-84.
- Co-author, “A Research Agenda for International Law Librarianship.” In IALL International Handbook of Legal Information Management, edited by R. Danner and J. Winterton, 343-58. Farnum, Surrey, England: Ashgate, 2011.
- "Sources of Presidential Papers and Documents on the Web." Mich. B. J. 86, no. 6 (2007): 44-7.
- "Michigan Family Law Research Resources: Review and Update." Mich. B. J. 85, no. 2 (2006): 42-3.
- "Central American-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement: Sources of Information." Mich. B. J. 84, no. 12 (2005): 46-7.
- "Selected Michigan Probate Law Research Resources." Mich. B. J. 83, no. 12 (2004): 42-4.
- "Major Resources for the New Family Law Attorney." Mich. B. J. 83, no. 1 (2004): 52-3.
- American Association of Law Libraries (AALL)
- FCIL SIS
- Indexing of Periodical Literature Committee
- International Association of Law Libraries (IALL)
- Board of Directors 2007-2010
- Secretary 2010-2013
- Michigan Association of Law Libraries (MichALL)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan Committee on Libraries, Legal Research and Publication