Head of Scholarly Publishing & Systems Services
S-110E Legal Research
Kincaid C. Brown is the Assistant Director and Head of Scholarly Publishing & Systems Services for the University of Michigan Law Library. He received a B.A. in History from the University of Michigan in 1994. He attended the University of Michigan Law School, earning a J.D. in 1996. He received his M.S.I. with a specialization in Library and Information Services from the University of Michigan, School of Information in 1998. He joined the Law Library staff in 1998.
As Head of the Scholarly Publishing & Systems Services Unit he is primarily responsible for the Law Library Website, Library Management System, electronic resource management, computer-assisted legal research functions, public computer oversight, electronic services, and other functions in coordination with the Law School IT department.
Brown is also primarily responsible for the American portion of the collection including federal and state primary, secondary, and electronic legal materials as well as federal depository functions. He also has oversight of the Law Library Acquisitions Services Unit. As a Reference Librarian, he also participates in the reference desk rotation, faculty services, bibliographic instruction, and other activities.
- "Make Your Life Easier: Free Online Productivity Tools and Resources ,” Michigan Bar Journal, Vol. 90, No. 7 (July 2011): 58-59.
- "Legislative Intent and Legislative History in Michigan,” Legal Reference Services Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 1-2 (January - June 2011): 51-61.
- "Tactics and Terms in the Negotiation of Electronic Resource Licenses," In Electronic Resource Management in Libraries: Research and Practice, edited by H. Yu and S. Breivold, 174-192. Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference, 2008.
- "Microfiche Checking and Refilming at the University of Michigan Law Library ," The CRIV Sheet, Vol. 27, No. 2 (February 2005): 3-5.
- "How Many Copies Are Enough? Using Citation Studies to Limit Journal Holdings ,” Law Library Journal, Vol. 94, No. 2 (Spring 2002): 301-314.
ACTIVITIES & PRESENTATIONS
- Member-at-large, AALL CS-SIS Executive Board, 2012-.
- Chair of AALL CS-SIS Communications Committee, 2012-.
- Coordinator, American Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting, July 2012: "Cool Tools Cafe."
- Presenter, Innovative Users Group Annual Meeting, April 2012: Creating Easy New Books Lists [Poster Session].
- Co-coordinator & Presenter, American Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting, July 2011: "Cool Tools Cafe."
- Chair of AALL CS-SIS Emerging Technologies Subcommittee, 2011-.
- Michigan State Bar Committee on Libraries, Legal Research & Legal Publications, 2010-.
- Presenter, American Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting, July 2009: "Cool Tools: The Workshop."
- Presenter, American Association of Law Libraries Annual Meeting, July 2008: "Cool Tools: Energizing Law Librarianship with Web 2.0."
- Participated with the Michigan Council of Federal Depository Libraries in the 2003 revision of the Michigan State Plan.
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Michigan Association of Law Libraries
back to Staff Biographies