Access to the Law Library
The University of Michigan Law School welcomes researchers to the underground Smith Addition to use the collection, including U.S. depository materials, for their legal research.
Who May Enter the Smith Addition
- By showing identification:
- U of M Law School Faculty and Students : A current U of M ID which can be verified in the Law Library’s database.
- U of M Faculty : A Faculty ID which can be verified in a directory, with status of professor (assistant, associate, emeritus).
- U of M Regents : A picture ID which can be verified in the UM Board of Regents webpage at www.umich.edu/~regents/
- Attorneys : A valid Bar card from any state or country. Attorneys from jurisdictions without bar cards should apply for a Collection Use Pass.
- By obtaining at the Reference Desk on Sub-1 (bring identification), or showing, one of the following passes :
- Visitor Pass : to look around the building for a short time.
- Seven-Day Pass : to use the collection for seven days; you may obtain up to two in a semester. To use the collection for a more extended period of time, apply for a Collection Use Pass.
- Collection Use Pass : to use the Law Library collection for research for a semester.
Those with no legal research need are welcome to use the Reading Room, which is open for general study.
Materials do not circulate out of the library.
Selected Research Resources