When seeking reimbursement of expenses, student organizations should keep the following SOAS guidelines in mind:
- The purchase of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products with school funds is not permitted.
- Airfare can only be reimbursed upon submission of the original plane ticket.
- SOAS will not disburse funds (issue a check) to an organization's outside bank account.
In order to be reimbursed for payment to a person for services rendered, a student organization must fill out a Services Rendered Worksheet, which requires the service provider's signature. This worksheet is required whenever personal services are rendered. Disk jockeys, caterers, and any other person(s) paid for services (as opposed to goods) can only be paid if this worksheet is submitted by the organization. Worksheets are available in the LSSS office or the SOAS office.
Student organizations may not use University or Law School funds for:
- Political campaigning
- Staff salaries
- Business activities (to support for-profit activities of individuals or groups)
- Donations to organizations outside the University
- Purchase of alcohol
Although the Law School and University will only deposit allocated funds into an organization's SOAS account, student organizations sometimes find it useful to maintain a bank account separate from the required SOAS account. Maintaining independent accounts is the sole responsibility of the organization. It is recommended that careful records be kept of account activity, and that two or three officers of the organization be listed on the account during a given academic year.