Jerome Knowlton joined the faculty as a full-time professor in 1886/87. He served as Dean of the Law School, 1891-1895, and returned to the faculty until his death in 1916.
Jerome Cyril Knowlton was born at Canton, Wayne County, Michigan, December 14, 1850, son of Earnest John and Roxana A. (Potter) Knowlton. He is of New England ancestry. After a preliminary training in the district schools, the Michigan State Normal School, and the Ann Arbor High School, he entered the University of Michigan and was graduated Bachelor of Arts in 1875 and Bachelor of Laws in 1878. He took up the practice of his profession at Ann Arbor, becoming a member of the firm of Sawyer and Knowlton and continuing his connection with it till he withdrew in 1890 to give his entire time to teaching. He was Postmaster of Ann Arbor from 1882 to 1885. From 1885 to 1889 he was Assistant Professor of Law in the University, and since 1889 he has filled the Marshall Professorship of Law. He also served, from 1891 to 1896, as Dean of the Department of Law. He has been a contributor to various legal periodicals and has published an edition of Anson on Contracts and a book of Criminal Cases for the use of students. He was married September 25, 1875, to Delle M. Pattengill, and they have two children, Marguerite (A.B. 1901) and Annie Pattenfill.
-- From "History of the University of Michigan" by Burke Aaron Hinsdale. Published by the University of Michigan in 1906.