Legal Research Library, 1935Source: Bentley Historical Library
Legal Research Library EntranceSource: Bentley Historical Library
The beautiful entrance to Legal Research from the Law Quad, taken about 1935. Note the lovely sconces on each side of doors, examples of the art metal work of Samuel Yellin. Note also that the building is closed: large wood sliding doors are pulled shut, concealing the revolving doors that were replaced in the 1990’s with doors that provided emergency egress.
Cook Legal Research is the most magnificent of a grand set of buildings, with its spires, huge reading room, stained glass windows, and graceful metal work by the best metal worker of the time, Samuel Yellin. Originally built to hold about 350,000 volumes, it was expanded in the early 1950’s by the addition of four floors to the stacks. The Reading Room was restored, and its lighting improved, in 2008.
Legal Research Building, 1956Source: Bentley Historical Library
Cook Legal Research contains faculty offices around and above the Reading Room, and on the periphery of the ten story stack building on the south side of the building. It also contains Cook’s library, from his Manhattan townhouse.
For more information on The Legal Research Library
Chart of Stained Glass windows in the Reading Room
Legal Research Building on Bentley Historical Library Website
Legal Research Building Reading Room Seals