The First Law Building, 1863-1933
The Law Department was founded in 1859 and graduated its first class in 1860, but not until 1863 did it have its own building, The Law Building (architects Jordan & Anderson) was southeast of the intersection of South State and North University.
The building contained the University Chapel until 1873 and University Library until 1883.
Notice that the books appear to be court reports with many similar volumes, and that a ladder is needed, far right, to reach all the books. The well-dressed students are engaged in their studies.
This is the Law Library in about 1888. Here we see many readers, and note the radiators wrapping around the columns, and very different style of lamp.
Photo of Law Library, somewhere between 1863-1915. Here, there are readers with many books, and perhaps books piled on the floor. This is very similar to the photo above from 1877. The columns are fluted, with decorative tops. This first law building, like the later Law Quadrangle, was of the finest quality.
The Law Building on March 25, 1882, about the date when William W. Cook received his LL.B. On the verso of this photo appears: “Laura Ann Woodin LL.B. 1882.”
Features of this classroom are repeated in Hutchins Hall which was built 45 years later: a large room designed for a lecture, with wooden tables and chairs, and many pictures on the walls. Notice also the high ceiling and large windows, and the provision of a lamp for each student on T-shaped table fixtures.
There is good light in this part of the room, and evidence that students have been using it although none are present. This 1888 photo must be the Law Library, since the University Library moved out in 1883. The bookshelves are quite full; inadequate library space has long been a problem for lawyers, since the library is the lawyer’s laboratory.
An addition in 1893 included a tower. This tower only lasted five years. It was removed, and the building expanded, in 1898.
An 1898 addition completely altered the exterior (architects Spier & Rohns), when the tower was removed for an addition and renovation, including a Regents Room in the new south wing, where they met for 35 years.
Upon completion of Hutchins Hall in 1933, the Law Building was renamed Haven Hall and was used by Literature Science & the Arts. It burned down on June 6, 1950.
The Law Building (Haven Hall) on October 16, 1922. Construction of the Lawyers Club had not yet begun. The area where the Law Building, and then Old Haven Hall were is now just grass and trees, north of Angell Hall.