Timing of Award Notice: Transfer Applicants
We begin processing financial aid requests in the summer, after admissions decisions are made. You must be admitted to the Law School and we must receive all required materials before we can process your request. It takes approximately two weeks from the date your financial aid application is completed to send an award notice. Since your award notice will be sent electronically, you should make sure the Admissions Office has your correct email address. If you have not received an email from us providing the details of your financial aid award within three weeks of completing your financial aid application, please contact our office at 734.764.5289 or email@example.com. Once you have decided to attend Michigan Law, the following steps must be completed before your financial aid can disburse:
- After you receive your award notice, accept or decline your Stafford loans on Wolverine Access under Student Business > Financial Aid Information > Financial Aid Award Notices (select the 2014 aid year and go to accept/decline).
- Complete entrance counseling for federal loans on the StudentLoans.gov website.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note for federal loans on the StudentLoans.gov website. There are separate promissory notes for Stafford and Grad PLUS loans. If you are borrowing both, you will need to complete a promissory note for each one.
- You must also submit the Statement of Understanding.
- If you are expecting a financial aid refund check for living expenses, we strongly encourage you to sign up for direct deposit on Wolverine Access under Student Business > Payroll & Compensation > Direct Deposit. Direct deposit is usually more timely and accurate than waiting for a check through the mail. If you do not sign up for direct deposit, your refund check will be mailed to the current address that is listed on Wolverine Access.
- If you need to borrow a Grad PLUS or private loan, a separate application is required. A comparison of different types of loans is available here. Since credit approvals expire, the earliest you should apply is June 1; we will begin processing the Grad Plus on July 1. If you borrow a Grad PLUS loan, please be sure to complete the school's Grad PLUS loan application, and not the one on the StudentLoans.gov website.
All information is strictly confidential. Please address inquiries to:
The University of Michigan Law School
Financial Aid Office
701 South State Street
South Hall, Suite 2200
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-3091