International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), Investment Program
The International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) is a not-for-profit organisation that contributes to sustainable development by advancing policy recommendations in areas of international trade and investment, climate change and energy, economic policy and others. More...
The extern will assist the Investment Program attorneys with their day-to-day responsibilities. The Program comprises, among others, a team of highly qualified international lawyers who provide technical and legal advice on international investment treaties and contracts, with respect to negotiations, implementation, and disputes. More...
IISD also conducts workshops and training courses for negotiators, policy-makers and government officials. The team works on investment issues in different sectors including mining, agriculture and natural resources, and also provides advice and conducts research on the development of next-generation domestic laws concerning foreign investment in these sectors.
IISD's investment work over the past years has incorporated six main clusters:
- Provision of legal advice to developing country governments and civil society.
- Building capacity through training courses for civil society, developing country governments, parliaments, journalists, and other groups.
- Coordination and organization of the Annual Forum for Developing Country Investment Negotiators.
- Publishing targeted investment-related research.
- Producing and dissemination of the flagship news bulletin, Investment Treaty News (ITN), the first such service entirely freely available.
- Managing a listserve exclusively for developing country policy-makers working on investment issues - Investment Policy Network (IPN).
There are no formal prerequisites or language requirements. However, a successful candidate for this position should possess the following:
- Excellent research, writing and organization skills.
- Familiarity with international trade, investment, sustainable development, human rights, and international environmental law.
- Ability to work independently.
For more information regarding IISD, please visit their website.