Skip Navigation LinksHome > Current Students > Office of Student Life > Student Handbook > Safety and Security > Sexual Misconduct Policy and Support

​Sexual Misconduct: Policy and Support

The University of Michigan and its Law School take very seriously cases involving sexual assault or harassment. The University's Policy on Sexual Misconduct by Students is available here. If you believe that you have experienced sexual misconduct, or if you have information regarding such misconduct, three important mechanism​s are available to you.

First, we encourage you to contact the University of Michigan Police Department (also known as UMPD or the Department of Public Safety (DPS)) at 734.763.1131. Second, we hope that you will feel comfortable sharing the information with someone at the Law School. Four people in the Law School administration are well suited to help in these situations:

  • Monica Hakimi, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs: 333 Hutchins Hall, 734.647.3729,;
  • Sarah Zearfoss, Senior Assistant Dean for Admissions, Financial Aid, and Career Planning: 2234 South Hall, 734.764.0537,;
  • David Baum, Assistant Dean for Student Life and Special Counsel to the Dean: 212 Hutchins Hall, 734.764.0516,;
  • Darren Nealy, Director of Student Services: 212 Hutchins Hall, 734.615.0019,

These four people can give you more concrete information about your options for handling a situation and can help you tap into the many support services that are available on campus. They recognize that cases involving sexual misconduct are deeply personal and private. At the same time, they are required under both federal law and University policy to report to the University's Office for Institutional Equity (OIE) any information about an incident involving sexual misconduct. The OIE will then conduct an independent investigation into the incident; you may, but need not, participate in this investigation.

Third, if you want your information to stay confidential, you may get help without going through the Law School administration. Three offices on campus provide counseling but will not report information to OIE or the police, unless you permit them to do so:

  • The University's Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC), which is staffed with professional counselors who provide educational and support services related to sexual assault, intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, and stalking.
  • The University's Counseling and Psychological Services office (CAPS), which is staffed by psychologists and social workers, and offers a variety of services aimed at helping students resolve personal difficulties and acquire the skills and attitudes that they need to take full advantage of their experiences at the University. A CAPS counselor, Reena Sheth, is now located in the Law School and provides services exclusively to members of the Law School community. She may be reached at 927 Legal Research or
  • The University's Office of the Ombuds, where student questions, complaints, and concerns about the University can be discussed confidentially in a safe environment. The office offers informal dispute resolution services, provides resources and referrals, and helps students consider options available to them.

It is, of course, up to you to decide whether or where to report an instance of sexual misconduct. But in any event, we encourage you to get support. Trying to manage these situations on your own can be difficult at best and harmful at worst. If you have any questions or would like more information about these options, please contact any of the people or offices mentioned above.

Michigan Law Wordmark Print View