Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Office of Student Records

The functions of the Office of the Registrar are divided between the University's Registrar and the Law School Office of Student Records.

The Law School Office of Student Records conducts registration for courses, prepares transcripts, maintains student records, and processes certifications of attendance, prior loan deferments, and other requests as outlined below. Law School transcript errors may also be corrected in the Law School Office Student Records. However, disputes or inquiries regarding the contents of a transcript or academic file should be brought to the attention of Dean David Baum.

The Office of Veteran's Benefits is a sub
unit of the Office of the University Registrar. In addition, the University Registrar’s Office handles identification card corrections or replacements and inquiries about fees and residency status (in-state or out-of-state status for tuition purposes).

Law School Office of Student Records functions, policies and procedures:

Registration for Classes
The Law School conducts registration and reserves spaces for you in your Law School classes. You become registered with the University when your schedule is uploaded by the Law School Office of Student Records into the University’s registration system. University registration is necessary for eligibility to take exams, receive grades, defer loans, receive financial aid, use University resources such as the recreation buildings or libraries, and so forth.

If you have unpaid charges from any University account resulting from things such as tuition, room and board, telephone charges, or previous loans, the University will place a "negative service indicator" in the form of a financial hold that will prevent you from registering successfully. This means that you will lose the spaces
you reserved in Law School classes during Law School registration, nor will you be able to elect non-law classes. If you are not successfully registered with the University by the first day of classes in the term, you will be charged a $50 late registration fee which will increase by an additional $25 at the beginning of each month you remain unregistered.

Entering first-year (1L) students have a predetermined curriculum. Therefore they have no direct involvement in the registration process. Each student is assigned to a section designed to produce a representative mix of the first-year cohort. Transfer students, entering as 2Ls, register online during their orientation. Thereafter, you will have to consult MLaw Live or the Law School Office of Student Records website to view the calendar, registration procedures, and deadlines. Detailed information about procedures, along with course, seminar, and clinic descriptions, are available from the website each term.

Disenrollments, Withdrawals, and Leaves of Absence
Disenrollments, withdrawals, and leaves of absence are processed by the Office of Student Records, following the approval of one of the Assistant Deans for Student Affairs. Students who withdraw after the term has begun must pay some or all of their tuition, depending on the date of withdrawal. Students should consult the fee adjustment schedule available on the Law School Office of Student Records website. 

Change of Address
Students are responsible for updating their local addresses. At the beginning of each school year and whenever appropriate thereafter, please update your address information online through Wolverine Access. The Law School Student Senate and Computing Department will rely on these addresses for compilation of directories, and the Law School Office of Student Records will need this information so that the Administration can mail you official communications (concerning, for example, financial aid disbursements). If you are not sure of the address the University has recorded for you, you can check it on Wolverine Access.

Students who wish to restrict the release of their address must notify the University Registrar (in the LSA Building) at the start of each term in which they wish it to be restricted. That office will notify other campus offices.

Bar Certification
When students apply for admission to the bar of a state, they may need to provide certifications of attendance, graduation, and character and fitness to practice law. Most certifications may be made by the Law School Office of Student Records. Students are responsible for contacting the State Bar for information about admission requirements and deadlines and for obtaining from the State Bar the required certification forms. Phone numbers and addresses for the various Boards of Bar Examiners are available in the Office of Career Services and the Law School Office of Student Records.

Graduating 3Ls who plan on taking the bar exam shortly after graduation need to inform the Law School Office of Student Records after they know which state's exam they intend to take. Students enter their bar intentions on-line through the Office of Student Records website.

The Office of Student Records certifies all graduating seniors to the state bars. Ordinarily, you must obtain bar certification forms from your State Board of Bar Examiners and then turn them in to the Office of Student Records to enable the Law School to provide the
required certification. Make sure when you turn in these forms that your name is on them. Certification usually takes place a few weeks after the semester ends. Students who turn in bar certification forms less than three weeks before the deadline for certification of graduation to that state may be subject to a late charge of $50. Deadlines for certification are posted in the Office of Student Records.

Some state bars require that students register with them during their first year of law school, charging late fees to students who register later. It is a good idea to call the bar examining agency of the state(s) in which you plan to take the bar as soon as possible to learn about their deadlines and requirements. The bar application process is very lengthy. A list of the telephone numbers of the bar examining agency for each state is posted on the Office of Student Records and Office of Career Services websites.

Application for Graduation
Students anticipating graduation within the next academic year must "apply" for graduation on Wolverine Access. This process "locks" you into a specific degree date. After logging into Wolverine Access, go to student business-degree progress-apply for graduation.

Diplomas typically are mailed approximately three months after graduation. When indicating the address where you'd like to have your diploma sent, if you are uncertain where you will be living at that time, please give an address where you are certain that someone who knows you will be living. A family member (such as parents or sibling), or a close friend should be sufficient. This is especially important for those who know that they will not be in the USA.

Dropping or adding classes can be done through Wolverine Access. The drop/add period runs into the second week of the semester. After the second week, you must get permission from either of the Assistant Deans for Student Affairs to drop a course. The drop deadlines for seminars, clinics, and practical courses may be as early as the first class meeting.

Authorization to Take a Course Outside the Law School
Only LLM students and JD students entering their third term or higher are eligible to take courses outside the Law School and apply the credits earned in those courses toward their degrees. See more information about applying non-law school credits to your degree here.

Emergency Contact Information
Emergency Contact Information Forms are contained in the orientation packet and should be filled out and turned in to the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible. These forms are also available in the Office of the Registrar. This information is extremely important to have on file so your family or others can be contacted if an emergency should arise.

Limiting a Grade to a "P"
This option is usually referred to as pass/fail, even though grades of P, C-, D+, D or E may be assigned. For more detailed information regarding the Limited Grade Option, refer to the information posted on the Law School Office of Student Records website here. 

Loan Deferment Forms
When you receive a deferment form for your undergraduate loan, fill out the portion of the form designated for the student. Make sure when designating dates for deferment that you do not ask for deferment beyond the end of the current term. The Office of the Registrar can only verify enrollment for the current term but can verify as often as needed. After the student portion of the form is filled in and addressed, return the form to the Office of the Registrar. Turnaround time for deferment forms is two to three business days.

Name Changes
Students who change their names must show documentation of the change to the University Registrar's Office (LS&A Building, 500 S. State St). That office will forward a name change form to the Law School Office of Student Records.

Requests for Letters or Completion of Miscellaneous Forms
If you need a certification letter or form sent to a business or other institution, you can request that it be sent by filling out a request for service form, found at the front counter. Specify what you need the letter to say and, if it is within staff authority, they will write and send the letter. Turn around time for letters is two to three business days.

Unofficial transcripts may be viewed online and printed, and official transcripts may be ordered online using Wolverine Access. The Law School Office of Student Records may be able to help you obtain an official transcript in a very short time frame in case of an emergency.