Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Current Students > Office of Student Records > Registration > Enrollment in Classes Outside the Law School

Enrollment in Classes Outside the Law School

If approved, LLM's may take up to six (6) credits and second- or third-year JD students may take up to twelve (12) credits outside of the Law School and apply these credits to their degrees. In general, only graduate-level non-law courses at the University of Michigan are approved (with exception for foreign language courses). For JD students, a maximum of six out of these twelve may be taken at another ABA approved law school. All students must obtain approval from the Office of Student Life ( PRIOR to enrolling in the class. Grades earned in these classes are not factored into Law School students’ GPAs and they do not count toward graded units for honors eligibility.

Enrollment Procedure: Non-Law Classes at U-M

Primary Steps through the Law School

  1. Check U-M's Schedule of Classes for available classes.
  2. Complete an External Enrollment Form for the non-law class. The Office of Student Life will review the form and render its decision by email. The Office's approval is required to apply law degree credit.

    Foreign Language Course:
    Before requesting law credit, consult with the appropriate foreign language department for placement in the appropriate level course.

  3. IMPORTANT: If the course is approved, WAIT until the start of the Law School’s Drop/Add period (not before), THEN add the class in Wolverine Access.

Secondary Steps Outside the Law School

  • If permission to enroll is required, work with the department offering the class to learn their specific procedures. Inform the department that Wolverine Access enrollment appointments for law students begin when the Law School’s Drop/Add period starts.
  • Some departments may require law students to first obtain permission from the professor before enrolling in their courses. Check with the department offering the class.

    Instructor Permission Example: Stephen M. Ross School of Business
  1. Send a request to the instructor by email only. Email addresses can be found in the MCommunity Directory.

    Include the following details:
         - Name
         - Your degree program
         - Course name and section (e.g., FIN 623.001)
         - Explanation of your interest in the course

  2. If the instructor grants permission, forward the email with the instructor's approval to the Ross Registrar’s Office at
  3. If seats are available, the Ross Registrar’s Office will issue permission through Wolverine Access and an email notification is automatically sent. Register for the course in Wolverine Access. This procedure applies to Business School electives. Core classes are only open to non-Business students after the first day of classes, if seats are available.
  4. Contact the Ross Registrar’s Office with any questions (Phone: 734.647.4933; Email:

Grading for Non-Law Classes

"NDC" (Not for Degree Credit)

A default grading basis of NDC (Not for Degree Credit) is automatically assigned for non-law classes. The NDC will remain on the transcript until the Law School reviews the final grade and removes the NDC indicator. In order to receive Law School credit, all grades must be the equivalent of a B- (minus) or better. Removing the NDC is a manual process that typically takes place after the Law School’s grading period. If the credit is needed earlier, contact the Law School’s Office of Student Records.

“S” Grade (Mandatory Limited Grade Option Pass) vs. Letter Grade

(Applies to J.D. students only.)
In order to receive Law School credit for an approved non-law course, students must receive a B- (minus) or higher grade. Grades less than that receive no law credit and the letter grade earned is posted on the transcript. The default grade for a non-law course is the letter grade earned. Law students may elect to have an "S" (mandatory pass) grade posted on their transcript for a non-law course by requesting this in advance in the Law School’s Office of Student Records (416 Hutchins Hall). Requests must be completed in person by the Law School's "Pass/Fail" period deadline for that term. For more information, click here.

Taking Classes Outside U-M

To take a course outside The University of Michigan, students must complete and submit a Request for Approval of Course Taken at Another University Form in the External Enrollment system. The Office of Student Life will review the form and render its decision by email. The Office's approval is required to apply law degree credit.