In the News
In addition to teaching clinical and doctrinal courses at the Law School, faculty in the Program on Children and the Law are actively involved in practical child-welfare work—including representing clients in trial and appellate proceedings, drafting reports for foundations and governmental agencies, presenting at state and national conferences, and writing articles and editorial pieces. Below is a sampling of recent news.
- Professor Don Duquette discusses the founding of the Child Advocacy Law Clinic with the ABA's Children's Rights Litigation section's Launching and Building a Children's Legal Services Practice series.
- The Detroit Center for Family Advocacy is profiled by Michigan Radio and the Legal News.
- Don Duquette was profiled in the Legal News.
- Professors Vivek Sankaran and Frank Vandervort present at the 15th Annual ABA Conference on Children and the Law.
- Professor Kim Thomas received the Justice for All Award from the Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan (CDAM) for her work on behalf of juvenile justice.
- Professor Josh Kay was profiled in the Legal News.
- Professor Frank Vandervort was elected President Elect of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children in June. He will serve as President for two years beginning in June 2014.
- 27 law students from 19 different American law schools participated in the 18th Bergstrom Summer Fellowship Training in Ann Arbor, May 20-22. Each of these law students have demonstrated a strong interest in child welfare law as a career path and will work this summer in child welfare law offices across the U.S.
- Peter Samuelson, movie producer and intrepid advocate for foster children, gave a resounding keynote address that informed and inspired all in attendance.
- Professor Don Duquette was the keynote speaker and moderator at Oregon's statewide conference, "Best Practices in Juvenile Dependency," held Oct. 15-16, 2012, in Eugene.
- On Oct. 11, 2012, the Michigan Governor's Task Force on Child Abuse and Neglect presented Professor Don Duquette with the Erney Moore Award for "unselfish rendering of outstanding and unique service to and on behalf of children and families in Michigan." The award signifies "help and assistance which has been given generously, ungrudgingly, and in the spirit of self-sacrifice."
- Professor Don Duquette gave a comprehensive progress report on the National Quality Improvement Center on the Representation of Children at the Annual Conference of the National Association of Counsel for Children on Aug. 16, 2012, in Chicago.
- Professor Vivek Sankaran spoke to Michigan Radio about class biases in the foster care sytem. He also commented on the differences between Michigan and Maryland's child-welfare systems in The Washington Post.
- WXYZ Action News interviewed Professor Josh Kay on illegal removals of children from their homes in Detroit.
- Professor Vivek Sankaran was awarded a grant from the Annie E. Casey Foundation to study the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Foster Children.
- Professor Vivek Sankaran was appointed to the ABA Commission on Homelessness and Poverty.