The Law Quadrangle’s superb collegiate gothic buildings, the gift of William W. Cook, LLB 1882, are inspirational and reflect the serious nature of the teaching and scholarship done at the School. The buildings, designed by the New York City firm of Edward York and Philip Sawyer, contribute tremendously to the strong sense of community at Michigan Law.
The Law Quad consists of four buildings: The Lawyers Club (1925); the John P. Cook Dormitory (1930), the Legal Research Library (1931), and Hutchins Hall (1933).
Before the School moved to the Law Quad, it occupied the fine Law Building near the corner of North University and South State, an area now grass and trees, for it burned in 1950. The School occupied this building from 1863 until 1933, and expanded and modified it several times.
This section of the History and Traditions website includes information about William Cook’s first gift to the University, the Martha Cook Building, which opened in 1915.
In 1981, the Library expanded into the Allan and Alene Smith Addition, designed by Gunnar Birkerts and Associates, then of Birmingham, Michigan.
For More Information
About William W. Cook
William W. Cook Webpage
About The LAW quad
Addresses Delivered at the Dedication of the Lawyers' Club of the University of Michigan, June 13, 1925.
"An Artisan Is Inspired by His Task: A letter Reveals the Story Behind the Beautiful Decorative Seals in the Windows of William W. Cook Research Building," Michigan Alumnus, October 3, 1931.
A Book of the Lawyers' Quadrangle at the University of Michigan.
The Brief of the Lawyers' Club: 1925 Year Book of the Lawyers Club of the University of Michigan.
Chart of Subjects of the Stained Glass: Legal Research Building, University of Michigan.
Dedicatory Exercises of the Law Quadrangle: The Gift of William Wilson Cook.
"The Law Library and Legal Research," Research News, September/October, 1966.
"The Law Quadrangle of the University of Michigan," Law Library Journal, October, 1932.
"Law School of the University of Michigan," Green Bag, 1889.
Michigan Stained Glass Census: University of Michigan Law Quad and Library
"The Quadrangle Isn't Square: Law School is an Unusual Architechtural Mélange," Law Quadrangle Notes, 1983.
"University to Have New Legal Research Library: William W. Cook, '80, 82L, Donor of the Lawyers' Club and Martha Cook Dormitory, Makes Gift," Michigan Alumnus, January 19, 1929.
"William W. Cook, University Benefactor: Noted New York Alumnus Dies at His Port Chester Home; His Will Makes Huge Additions to Already Most Generous Gifts," Michigan Alumnus, June 28, 1930.
"World's Finest Educational Building: William W. Cook Legal Research Library Nears Completion as Unit of Law Quadrangle," Michigan Alumnus, April 4, 1931.